A fun one for you this month – sure to bring a splash of colour-packed flavour to your day no matter how grey the skies at the moment! Make your own refreshing cola flavoured cordial using nasturtium blooms & a sprig of lemon verbena, here’s how..
WHAT YOU’LL NEED..
Makes 1 litre (approx)
- 500ml Water
- 500g Unrefined Organic Sugar
- 50 Nasturtium Flowers (remove stalks & or leaves)
- 1 sprig of fresh lemon verbena
WHAT TO DO WITH IT ALL..
- Add the water & sugar to a saucepan & heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the nasturtium flowers & sprig of lemon verbena to the pan, mix to ensure the botanicals are submerged in the hot syrup & leave to infuse for 24-48 hours. What’s incredible is despite using a mix of yellow & orange flowers the syrup develops a brilliant pink colour!
- Filter the liquid through a jelly bag, muslin or a clean cloth into a jug or bowl to remove the flowers.
- Decant into sterlised bottles & store in the fridge for up to 2 months. Keep for longer by freezing in plastic bottles just make sure you leave for the liquid to expand on freezing!
SERVING SUGGESTIONS FOR YOUR NASTURTIUM ‘COLA’
- Serve with sparkling water/wine, ice & some fresh mint or lemon verbena for a refreshing Summer drink! Have a glass as part our garden tour & three-course lunch feast.
- Drizzle over a stack of freshly made pancakes & cream for an indulgent breakfast. Enjoy this with a stay in our botanical themed accommodation.
- Use as a base for the most refreshing sorbet. To make a batch of sorbet, add 400ml syrup, 200ml water & one egg white to an ice cream machine & churn to perfection.
We hope you enjoy our Nasturtium ‘Cola’ – cheers!