Our Kitchen Garden Breakfast is by far the most popular morning feast with our guests..
The breakfast is outstanding!!Katrina – Guest, The Botanical Bell Tent, August 2021
..everyone mentions the breakfast and it was the best one we had on this trip. It’s so fresh.Mícheál – Guest, The Botanical Bell Tent, August 2021
Not a sausage or baked bean in sight, instead a real celebration of seasonal harvests from the garden! While our gardens & accommodation are now closed for the Winter, we thought we’d share the recipe with you so you can continue to start your day with some delicious seasonal flavours! Here’s what it includes..
Fresh free-range eggs from our hens with homemade nettle flatbreads, tomato hommous dip & caramelised Summer Greens
Feel free to chop & change different elements. Key to this breakfast are happy hens as well as freshly picked seasonal veggies – which mean they’re super sweet & juicy! So get out into the garden or your hedgerows & gather up what you have growing in your garden. Failing that get down to your local Farmers Market & support local growers buying what’s in season at that time & smelling delicious! We’ve included links to some of the suppliers we use for the ingredients we don’t produce ourselves, support them if you can, they’re doing amazing work!
Ingredients (for 2)
For the Greens:-
For the Flatbreads:-
- 200g organic irish plain flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Nettle Powder (optional, can also use dried crushed garden herbs)
- Enough milk to bring the mix together
- Pinch salt
For a batch of hommous dip:-
- 2 x cups pulses (Chickpeas/Lentils or dried peas all work well)
- 1 x bulb garlic
- Good glugg of rapeseed oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- Tube tomato paste (make your own by roasting a tray of toms until caramelised then blend)
- 2 tsps paprika
What to do with it all!
For the Greens & Eggs:-
- Fry your washed, roughly chopped greens in a glugg of rapeseed oil starting with whatever needs most cooking e.g. courgettes adding smaller, quicker cooking veggies once the rest is golden.
- Finish with a dash of salt, freshly ground pepper & a knob of butter – done!
- Prep your eggs however you most like them – boiled, fried, scrambled or poached.
For the Flatbreads:-
- Mix all the dry ingredients first then add enough milk to bring the mix together into a moist, soft dough.
- Tip out of mixing bowl & knead briefly when divide into two.
- Form dough into round balls then roll until half a cm thick using a rolling pin
- Fry in hot pan with goog glugg of oil until browned, then flip over & cook other side – done!
- Place on a chopping board & cover with foil until ready to assemble your morning feast!
For a batch of hommous dip (make in advance):-
- Cover your chosen pulses with water & cook until soft. Speed up this process by soaking them overnight beforehand.
- Once cooked add all other ingredients & blend using a stick blender. Adjust seasoning to taste & you’re done!
Cut your flatbreads into quarters & place in one corner of your plate, pile your caramelised veggies high beside followed by your egg before adding a dollop of hommous to the side for dipping your flatbreads into.
We hope you enjoy your Kitchen Garden Breakfast! Do share photos of yours over on our social media (links on our contact us page), we’d love to see them!
If you’d like to escape away & enjoy one of our breakfasts or indeed gift one to a friend or family, why not book one of our Breakfast Tours for Summer 2022!